trying to compile cups-filters: fatal error: goo/gmem.h: No such file or directory

Leon Goldman leon244 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 1 18:32:44 PDT 2012

I am trying to compile the cups-filters and make fails with this error:
filter/pdftoopvp/oprs/OPRS.cxx:27:22: fatal error: goo/gmem.h: No such file or directory

Yet, when I run 'locate' :
so the file exists on my system

I configure and make with the defaults. When I configure, the program complains about not finding poppler and suggests entering in POPPLER_CFLAGS and POPPLER_LIBS. So I 'export "POPPLER_CFLAGS=/usr/include/poppler" and export the LIBS to the directory in which the library exists. configure then proceeds without error, but the make exits with the 'NO such file' error.

Hope you can help. At the moment I am completely without the ability to print anything and run out of places to try to get help.