Can't create printer; cupsd stops when I try

Leon Goldman leon244 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 2 13:21:37 PDT 2012

More information. When I try via the command line, I see this:

lpadmin -p MFCJ6710DW -E -v usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -P /usr/share/cups/model/Brother/brother_mfcj6710dw_printer_en.ppd
lpadmin: Success

When I try then to access CUPS via the web interface, I cannot connect to the server and need to restart cupsd.

When I do that the printer does not show up at all.

I suspect after all my trying to use 1.6.1 adn going back and forth, there are some incompatible libraries or something causing the conflict, but I have no idea where to start or what to look for.
Thanks