[cups.general] test page fails to print

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sun Nov 4 06:05:49 PST 2012

On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 05:39:29 -0800
Leon Goldman articulated:

> I am trying to set up a printer in a VM of Ubuntu. I access CUPS
> 1.5.3, have installed the Brother drivers for my Brother MFCJ6710DW
> and created the printer on usb:/  I have enabled the usb port for the
> VM.
>
> However, when I try to print a test page, nothing happens. The job is
> apparently successfully sent.
>
> Access log shows:
> localhost - - [04/Nov/2012:08:33:47 -0500] "POST /printers/MFCJ6710DW
> HTTP/1.1" 200 415 Print-Job successful-ok
>
> Don't see anything specific in the error.log
>
> Appreciate any suggestions you may have.

I have a similar problem with a Brother MFC-9560CDW. The job is
apparently sent, but nothing happens. An error message is displayed on
the printer that says: "IGNORE DATA", but nothing else. A blank page
is ejected. Of course, it works fine from Windows. If I use "nc" and
send the job to the printer directly, it works fine. I might add, this
is a network printer connected via TCP. No one on this list has been
able to give me any assistance. I checked out the warning message on
the Brother web page, but it doesn't apply here. I have all
available memory installed. Anyway, it works, except with "cups",
except when printing a "cups" test page. Very strange. Brother support
doesn't support FreeBSD and said that they couldn't help me.

Good luck.

--
Gerard ✌
gerard at seibercom.net