[cups.general] how to get printers on mac os 10.8 from a linux cups in a different subnet

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Nov 7 10:03:05 PST 2012

Franz,

On 2012-11-07, at 12:42 PM, "franz.pfoertsch.brose" <franz.pfoertsch at brose.com> wrote:
> What is the offical way to connect from the Mac OS 10.8 WS to the server?
> There must be a better way, as to configure the printqueues local on the WS!

Bonjour is the official way to share and access printers since 10.3.

> why was this feature removed? This break my hole installation!
> Is there a way to enable a smiliar feature, which I do not know?

CUPS browsing was incompatible with application sandboxing and caused a lot of problems on wireless/unmanaged networks (no working DNS, no IPv6 support, IP addresses are not user-friendly). Bonjour support for Linux (Avahi) first appeared as a patch in CUPS 1.4 and is now part of CUPS proper, so it was time to remove the old, clunky CUPS browsing protocol support.