error policy - move job?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Nov 9 05:28:28 PST 2012

Rob Crow wrote:

> Thanks
>
> Sorry for my basic knowledge but could you point me in the right direction
> to set up notification handling? I've read some of the docs but where does
> this go? and how does notification trigger a script?
>
> thanks
> Rob.
>
>> Rob Crow wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Is there a way to get CUPS to move all error/aborted jobs to another
>> > queue? Or to save the aborted jobs in a given location?
>> >
>> > Using the 'abort-job' error policy works best for us in keeping the
>> > printers running, but we need to review and possibly re-print the
>> > erroneous jobs.
>> >
>> > Perhaps there is another way to trap problem jobs without stopping the
>> > queue?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Rob.
>>
>> Not directly, AFAIK, but you set up a notification handling for the
>> aborted
>> jobs and hook this up to a utility script that  e.g. moves the job.
>>
>> Helge

I do not have  a ready to use solution, but did some experiments regarding
notifications.
A good starting point will be to look at the testnotify utility (which
probably is not part of most standard distibutions but will be built when
compiling CUPS from the sources.
You could try to hack e.g. the e.mail notifier to instead execute a script
that moves the job in question by executing the normal lpmove command.

Helge