Print-Job client-error-document-format-not-supported: Unsupported format "application/vnd.cups-pdf-banner"

Fabio Coatti fabio.coatti at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 00:34:27 PST 2012

Hi All,
I'm trying to setup a new printer, a samsung CLP-775, but I'm hitting some issues.
Basically, the issues are of two kinds.
(I've tried both samsung-provided utility installation and cups web interface installation.)

first issue, I'm able to use the printer only via socket:// and not using the cup suggested protocol ( dnssd://whathever._printer._tcp.local/  )
Not a big deal, socket://IP.ADDRESS works just fine but I wonder what's wrong.

Second and most interesting issue, If I select the supposedly correct ppd file, from samsung provided "driver"
===
*FileVersion: "2.4"
*FormatVersion: "4.3"
*LanguageEncoding: ISOLatin1
*LanguageVersion: English
*PCFileName: "CLP775.PPD"
*Product: "(Samsung CLP-775 Series)"
*Manufacturer:  "Samsung"
*PSVersion: "(3015    ) 0"
====

I get errors like Unsupported format "application/vnd.cups-pdf-banner"  (this is for test page, but similar errors happens for basically every document I try to print.

If I choose CLP-660 foomatic ppd, (non PS version), I'm able to print.

Looking a bit closer to the differences, I get this:

Working PPD file:
python <<"EOF"
import cups
c=cups.Connection()
print c.getPrinterAttributes('660')['document-format-supported']
EOF

[u'application/octet-stream', u'application/pdf', u'application/postscript', u'application/vnd.adobe-reader-postscript', u'application/vnd.cups-command', u'application/vnd.cups-pdf', u'application/vnd.cups-pdf-banner', u'application/vnd.cups-postscript', u'application/vnd.cups-raw', u'application/x-cshell', u'application/x-csource', u'application/x-perl', u'application/x-shell', u'image/gif', u'image/jpeg', u'image/png', u'image/tiff', u'image/x-bitmap', u'image/x-photocd', u'image/x-portable-anymap', u'image/x-portable-bitmap', u'image/x-portable-graymap', u'image/x-portable-pixmap', u'image/x-sgi-rgb', u'image/x-sun-raster', u'image/x-xbitmap', u'image/x-xpixmap', u'image/x-xwindowdump', u'text/css', u'text/html', u'text/plain']

Non working PPD file:
python <<"EOF"
import cups
c=cups.Connection()
print c.getPrinterAttributes('775')['document-format-supported']
EOF

So I compared the two PPD files, and noticed this:
660:
*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-postscript 100 foomatic-rip"
*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip"

775: (not working)
*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.spjl-postscript 0 -"

So I added the two lines spotted in 660 ppd file to 775 ppd and now the printer is working and cups shows the correct options for the printer.

Now I'm wondering how dirty is this workaround and what is the correct approach instead; I guess that the printer should work without tweaking the ppd file.

Distro: Gentoo ~x86
Cups: 1.6.1
Cups-filters: 1.0.24
ghostscript: 9.06