[cups.general] Network printer

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Nov 22 07:43:23 PST 2012

Hello,

On Nov 22 06:29 jarlaxl wrote (excerpt):
> eror_log file located:
> http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/396359/hy5MGF4tDQu6Lfv1/out_After_LPD1.txt.zip

I got an advertisement picture of an almost naked woman via this URL
but I assume this is not the actual content of your eror_log file...

> (if above link doesnt work try:
> http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/396359/out_After_LPD1.txt.zip)

I am asked to "accept ... the privacy terms from filehosting.org"
which read:
1. filehosting  has the right to collect personal user data
    (inventory data)
3. The User hereby consents to filehosting explicitly that
    filehosting uses its inventory data for the purposes of
    consulting, advertising, market research...

I do not accept filehosting.org's so called "privacy" terms.

If your eror_log file is too big to be posted in a mail,
only provide those CUPS debug messages which seem to be
of real interest regarding the failure of the print job.

Look for "error" or "fail" messages and post several lines
before the "error" or "fail" message appears - try to imagine
which of the lines before the "error" or "fail" message could
to be of real interest regarding the failure of the print job.

When there is no "error" or "fail" message in your eror_log file
it indicates that from the printing system's point of view
everything worked o.k. which then indicates that it is in
your printer device where it actually fails.

Regarding network printer see "In case of problems" in
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_via_TCP/IP_network
Connect the printer directly to the first parallel port
or via USB and configure the printer as local printer
for testing purposed to exclude problems regarding
the network.

You wrote initially:
>> I am trying to print to a network printer (NRG MP 2000L)
and now you wrote
> *NickName:      "NRG MP 2000 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9"
and
> *NickName:      "NRG MP 2000 Foomatic/gutenprint-ijs.5.2"

This Gutenprint driver is for printers that support the
standard printer language PCL as the "NRG MP 2000" seems to do
but you do not have a "NRG MP 2000" but a "NRG MP 2000L".

Does the "NRG MP 2000L" support PCL?

See the section "Information on the Support Status" in
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Purchasing_a_Printer_and_Compatibility
Similar printer designations do not necessarily imply compatibility.
Even printers with similar designations may not understand the same
printer language directly. The printer language is often specified
under the printer specifications in the printer manual. If necessary,
ask the manufacturer which printer language your printer understands
directly.

It is crucial to have exact model names because small differences
in model names can make big differences regarding support status.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner