[cups.general] An idea how to provide CUPS Browsing for CUPS 1.6

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Nov 23 10:43:36 PST 2012

Hello,

Till,
I fully agree with all what you wrote.

On Nov 22 14:24 Till Kamppeter wrote (excerpt):
> Johannes, do you (or someone at SUSE) plan to code this daemon?

I would not like to work against CUPS upstream.

I would like to see a positive response and confirmation
from CUPS upstream (Apple) that they appreciate such
an "universal cups-browsed" as third-party software
that provides add-on funtionality to upstream CUPS
which recovers CUPS to stay the Common Unix Printing System.

I cannot foresee what might happen if CUPS upstream / Apple decided
that they do no longer want to support a Common Unix Printing System.

Note that "support a Common Unix Printing System" does not mean
that CUPS upstream / Apple has to maintain all code that is needed
to build up a Common Unix Printing System but it does mean that
CUPS upstream / Apple must provide what is needed so that
third-party software can build a Common Unix Printing System
on top of Apple's CUPS.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner