[cups.general] Broken pipe error when changing printer options on 1.5.4

Alex Korobkin korobkin+cups at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 19:30:49 PST 2012

On 25 November 2012 10:23, Christoph (Stucki) von Stuckrad <
stucki at mi.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2012, Alex Korobkin wrote:
>
> > Stucki, I submitted this as http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4210
> >
> > Try removing Listen .../cups.sock from cupsd.conf as a workaround.
>
> We never had used the socket! That's why I searched on, even when it
> did work. BUT, when I enable the socket, it fails really every time.
> I simply assume the socket to be 'failing so much faster', that it
> consistently fails, but may be slowed enough to work by tracing.

I actually was able to reproduce it under strace a couple of times, but
didn't find anything more than debug2 log could have told me. As far as I
understand it, CUPS parent process says that child process didn't provide
authentication details, and closes the socket. Maybe it doesn't apply
authentication properly over file socket, I don't know.

So I do not think, the socket *causes* it, but it triggers the problem.
> (By the way, how do I add such a description to the above 'Bug'?)

There is "Post Text" link there.