[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #4221: CUPS doesn't treat ::1 address as localhost

Alex Korobkin korobkin+cups at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 14:09:46 PDT 2012

[STR New]

OS: Ubuntu 10.04 x64

A busy printserver easily gets DoS-ed by itself when IPv6 is enabled.
Somehow it cannot recognize its own localhost address as local address,
despite the code being in place for that.

This is what I see in the logs, when random CGI pages become unavailable
in CUPS web interface. Notice how the client is represented as "v1.::1",
not sure why:

W [02/Nov/2012:20:30:37 +0000] Possible DoS attack - more than 10 clients
connecting from [v1.::1]!

This is my /etc/hosts file:

$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.12.200	printserver-test

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

This is my Port directives from cupsd.conf (I don't use domain socket and
Listen directives):

Port 631
SSLPort 443

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4221