PJL FSDIRLIST ???

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Oct 5 09:59:31 PDT 2012

Niels S. Eliasen wrote:

> On 2012-10-05, Helge Blischke <h.blischke at acm.org> wrote:
>> Niels S. Eliasen wrote:
>>
>>> hi guys
>>> question: Having the PJL command:
>>>
>>> ^[%-12345X at PJL FSDIRLIST NAME="0:\pcl\macros" ENTRY=1 COUNT=999999
>>> ^[%-12345X
>>>
>>> does not give any output of all the macros stored in the macro
>>> directory... In fact this command does not give any output at all.....
>>>
>>> Could someone please shed some light on this ?
>>>
>>> PS: the command is stored in a textfile and printed using "lp -o raw
>>> textfile -d printername"
>>>
>>> tia
>>> niels
>>
>> Where do you expect the response to appear?
>> According to the PJL reference manual, the response is returned on the
>> "backchannel" in CUPS speech.
> ok.. according to the manuals that I have read.. it should come out on
> paper.... I can be mistaken.. but that's the impression that I have
> got.... "backchannel" ... means ??? or in other words any way to ge this
> out on paper/mail/whatever?
>>
>> Helge

Provided your cups version is recent enough, you'll find a DEBUG message in
the error_log indicating how many bytes of backchannel data have been
received. But, as far as I know, there currently is no default destination
where the backchannel data would be written to, but you may easily implement
a special filter that reads these data and digests it as you like, as the
standard filter and backend interface provides a file descriptor to read the
backchannel data from, fd number 3, if I remember correctly.

Helge