Trying to use usblp

Perry pmkeen at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 7 20:38:28 PDT 2012

I carefully put together a foomatic driver on a printer interface for my LaserJet 4 plus printer to take advantage of the usblp uss720 driver to use with my usb/parallel cable (the printer is a parallel port printer and the computer has no parallel port).  I get about two pages printed and shut down to go do something else.  Then CUPS server picks up the printer interface it seems to call it it's own (prefaces it with CUPS) and then no more printing.  CUPS doesn't support usblp.  Of course a better question might be why usblp isn't a possibility with CUPS (would make life easier for those of us trying to use this cable and driver).  So I suppose my question is how do I disable CUPS from my system to use my cable (if that's what it takes).

The relevant poop is as follows:

perry at perry-Inspiron-8600:~$ dmesg|tail
[   27.900056] parport0: fix this legacy no-device port driver!
[   27.901125] uss720: async_complete: urb error -32
[   27.903800] lp0: using parport0 (polling).
[   27.905285] usbcore: registered new interface driver uss720
[   27.905292] uss720: v0.6:USB Parport Cable driver for Cables using the Lucent Technologies USS720 Chip
[   27.905296] uss720: NOTE: this is a special purpose driver to allow nonstandard
[   27.905299] uss720: protocols (eg. bitbang) over USS720 usb to parallel cables
[   27.905302] uss720: If you just want to connect to a printer, use usblp instead
[   27.944998] usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
[   38.704046] eth1: no IPv6 routers present

Very frustrating to get it to work for a couple of pages only to get sabotaged by the CUPS sever (which I think is happening).

I suppose another possibility would be to go to a Linux disto that uses GNOME and take advantage of Foomatic GUI print manager (which runs in GNOME), something I'm thinking of doing.  Currently I have Lubuntu.  The Foomatic GUI manager loads but doesn't show up with LXDE and openbox.

Not really too interested in getting another printer.  This should be a solvable problem.  Under Windows there is no problem, but I'd like to stay with Linux.  I like it (the simplicity is really beautiful).  I'm a little baffled that there is no provision in CUPS or hplip for legacy equipment using the usb/parallel cable.

I've only been fooling around with Linux for a couple of months now.  Before I didn't know a terminal from an eggplant.  I've learned some stuff, but am by no means fluent (sometimes the terminal still looks and acts like an eggplant).

Any ideas???