CUPS doesn't recognise "application/vnd.cups-raw" format

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Mon Oct 8 01:08:14 PDT 2012

I think I've figured out the problem here.

> client-error-document-format-not-supported: Unsupported format
> 'application/vnd.cups-raw'!

Because I was migrating from an older version of CUPS, I just copied the
config files across, but it seems the newer version of CUPS needs
another couple of lines added to printers.conf:

   Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
   Filter application/vnd.cups-command 0 commandtops
   Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 -

These have to be added to each <Printer/>.  Alternatively using the CUPS
web interface to modify each printer (without actually changing
anything) will cause these lines to be added.

Once this was done everything started working perfectly!

Cheers,
Adam.