Cups > 1.6 without Ghostscript,via. poppler on Slackware 14

Andrew Robinson andrew3 at r3dsolutions.com
Thu Oct 11 12:30:56 PDT 2012

> Andrew,
>
> While I can't speak to the cups filter package issues...
>
> On 2012-10-11, at 4:29 AM, Andrew Robinson <andrew3 at r3dsolutions.com> wrote:
> > Secondly,
> > Slackware has pre-made cups init scripts and doesn't NEED OR USE the same method that Cups 1.6.1 *wants* to install in /etc/rc.d -- Soooo... cups is making a mess of my scripts directory and bombs out of "make install" with error number 2; and so I don't know if something else is not getting installed that needs to be that could be complicating the operations problems.
> >
> > So, how do I tell cups 1.6.1 to forget about installing problematic "init" scripts?
>

> Try using the --without-rcdir configure option.

Thanks Michael,  I thought I had tried that before... but it worked, so I must have made a typographical error the last time I tried it.  This time I did "./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-dnssd --disable-avahi --disable-raw-printing --without-rcdir" :)

Regarding filtering in general (and not the alternate set); are you aware of any test files that one could attempt to print (for example a raster file) so that only the rastertoepson filter and the cups 1.6.1 backend would be involved (to see if the ppd file & cups 1.6.1 is good exclusive of the other package?)

Or is there a debugging switch and a way to capture the raster file generated so I can see what it attempted to send to the epson raster program/backend ?

(I'm trying to find easy ways to isolate the problem(s).)