[cups.general] Cups > 1.6 without Ghostscript, via. poppler on Slackware 14

Gernot Hassenpflug ha4h-grnt at asahi-net.or.jp
Sun Oct 28 23:09:02 PDT 2012

Andrew Robinson <andrew3 at r3dsolutions.com> writes:

> Hi Gernot!
>
> Your suggestion is good,useful ... and still bad. :)
> It's not the cups raster file which was produced when I tried your suggestion -- but rather the actual printer encoding.  I have a work-around, but I thought I'd share what happened... (If your eyes glaze over, I have a simple question at the end of the post... ;) )

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for the report. Thanks also to Till for the feedback and Kurt for the support!

> The only thing I see that's a show stopper is that all conversion is to a CMYK format, and not a CcMmYK format (my printer is 6 ink cartridges.);  That has to be a .ppm file issue, so what do I change to get all 6?

I cannot tell from your explanation (sorry if I missed it) if you are
using gutenprint or some other driver as well here, or not.

Is the CMYK conversion happening before gutenprint accepts it? That
does not sounds right---gutenprint by rights should accept RGB data
from the application, not CMYK.

Once gutenprint accepts the RGB data, it does printer-specific
conversions using whatever data the printer PPD supplies for it, and
in your case should certainly use the available inks.

So I surmise that there is a filter problem rather than a final driver
problem. With that I can't help you, but Till can, so please follow
his advice.

Regards,
--
Gernot Hassenpflug