How do I remove CUPS: 1.6.1 won't go away

Leon Goldman leon244 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 30 14:43:39 PDT 2012

I tried installing 1.61 from the tarball and I could not get it to work. I tried removing all references to cups including /etc/rc.d/inet.d/cups and etc/sysconfig/cups and then tried to reinstall my original distro packages.
However, CUPS comes up as 1.6.1 when I access it via localhost:631 and nothing works. How do I get rid of 1.6.1 so I can reinstall my original distro package.

I am using Mandriva 2011, x86_64.

Right now I am completely unable to print anything.
Thank ou.