[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #4206: reintroduce cupsbrwosing to cups 1.6

franz.pfoertsch.brose franz.pfoertsch at brose.com
Wed Oct 10 07:30:58 PDT 2012

[STR New]

Please reintroduce cupsbrowsing of CUPS 1.6.
CUPS-Browsing is one of the keyfeatures in my environment.

In my environtment approx. 250 printers are hosted on a central
printserver in the computerroom located at the server vlan. The
workstations pull the queues/drivers via browsepoll. There is no
additional work. Without this keyfeature cups is useless for the
configuration. It is not possible to do the workaround with
'local'-printerdrivers on each Workstation.

Maybe you disable cupsbrowsing in the default setting and mark it as
deprecated.
Users with special setting could enable this feature.

regards
Franz

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4206
Version: 1.6.1