[cups.general] Where has the "show printers shared by other systems" option gone?

Tassilo Horn tsdh at gnu.org
Sat Sep 1 11:21:04 PDT 2012

Hi all,

since I've upgraded to CUPS 1.6.x, the option

    Show printers shared by other systems

which has always been on the Administration page on localhost:631 seems
to have been removed.

Before the upgrade, when I wanted to print a document the system printer
dialog showed all printers available here at my university with their
names gathered by avahi (e.g. prost, probe, prelude, ...).

Now, my system printer dialogs show no printers at all.  It seems I need
to explicitly add the printers I want to use, but that's not as easy as
it seems.  When I press "Administration > Printers > Find New Printers"
I get a list of all the printers available.  But that list doesn't show
the printer names and/or locations, but only the models.  For example,
the list contains:

  Brother MFC-7440N (Brother MFC-7440N [001ba930f1cb])
  Brother MFC-7440N (Brother MFC-7440N [001ba9317a4c])
  Brother MFC-7440N (Brother MFC-7440N [001ba95c9e11])
  Brother MFC-7440N (Brother MFC-7440N [001ba95c9f6f])

Now even if I knew that my standard printer named "prost" was a Brother
MFC-7440N printer, how could I decide which one of these 4 printers it
is?  (Well, except for adding one at a time, printing a test page, and
checking if the page is printed at the printer I know as "prost").

So is there a way to add printers by their name?  Or get back to the old
"show me all available printers" behavior?

Thanks in advance,
Tassilo