[cups.general] /usr/libexec/cups/backend/usb failed

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 11:33:29 PDT 2012

>>> files fine, but there is a 10-second delay between ZPL labels with a
>>> Zebra LP2844-Z when there was no delay with the client and server on
>>> cups-1.5.2.  The ZPL label is printed like this:
>>>
>>> system(qq{/bin/echo "^XA
>>> ^MNN
>>> ^LL235
>>> ^FO290,60^A0N,125,70^FD$sku^FS
>>> ^XZ" | /usr/bin/lpr -l -P Zebra_LP_2844-Z_4x1});
>>>
>>> There is nothing in the cups error_log.  Can I debug this?
>>

>> How is the Zebra printer configured? (raw, ZPL label printer driver from CUPS, ???)
>
> It is configured with the ZPL label printer driver from CUPS.  Is that
> the best choice when sending it ZPL like I am?
>
> - Grant

I tried changing the printer to raw but the results are the same.  I
also tried building the latest cups from svn but it wouldn't build due
to a failed patch.

I rolled back to 1.5.2 and everything works without the delay.  To get
around the issue I originally posted about, I'm changing the printer
policies to retry-current-job.  What is the difference between that
and retry-job?  Google is bringing up 404's:

http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/ref-cupsd-conf.html
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/ref-printers-conf.html

I'm curious, does specifying the "Make" as "Raw" save any processing
time if I'm using lpr -l anyway?

- Grant