[cups.general] RICOH Aficio MP 4001: DocServer without password doesn't work

Denny Schierz linuxmail at 4lin.net
Wed Sep 26 02:24:32 PDT 2012

hi,

we have a RICOH Aficio MP 4001 with a DocServer included, but I'm not able to print a job without any supplied password:

echo bla | lp -d Drupierer-Mensakarte -o JobType=DocServer -o DocServerPassword=None

or:

echo bla | lp -d Drupierer-Mensakarte -o JobType=DocServer

My PPD from openprinting:

*FileVersion: "1.0"
*FormatVersion: "4.3"
*LanguageEncoding: ISOLatin1
*LanguageVersion: English
*ModelName: "Ricoh Aficio MP 4001"
*PCFileName: "RI1481E3.PPD"
*Manufacturer: "Ricoh"
*1284DeviceID: "MFG:RICOH;MDL:Aficio MP 4001;CMD:POSTSCRIPT;"
*Product: "(RICOH Aficio MP 4001 PS3)"
*PSVersion: "(3017.104) 2"
*ShortNickName: "Ricoh Aficio MP 4001 PS"
*NickName: "Ricoh Aficio MP 4001 PS"

[...]

System:
  * Cups  1.4.4-7+squeeze1
  * Linux Debian Squeeze

Every time the jobs printed, and not stored to the DocServer. It works, if i supply a password like:

echo bla | lp -d Drupierer-Mensakarte -o JobType=DocServer  -o DocServerPassword=3001

The users have a "cafeteria  card" to get access to the printer, so we don't need the DocServer password.

What could be the problem?

cu denny

ps. we had a Lanier 151 with the same function and it was working, without a password.