Change Driver CUPS assigns by default

Brad nomail at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 02:02:52 PDT 2012

Any advice as to how I can set which driver CUPS assigns as default to a given printer type.

I need to support a Brother 2140, but want to use the HL1250.PPD driver(which works well), instead of the driver CUPS picks by default(which doesn't work).

I'm trying to remaster a CD iso of knoppix and cannot simply change it through system-config-printer. At reboot, CUPS again assigns it's default driver.

If I boot then change it manually and it works from the ramdisk, but if I copy across all of /etc/cups to the image, and then boot the image, it doesn't work (endless page feeds).

I could run lpadmin as part of a start-up script but I'm not sure what I would need to set.

Any advice greatly appreciated.