[cups.general] printing from Mountain Lion 1.6svn to 1.3.8

Dave LeFevre dlefevre at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 07:14:16 PDT 2012

Hello...

I work for a department at a University that is a varied multi-OS environment.

We started to install "Mountain Lion" on some Mac workstations.  Our Mac and

Linux stations all print using CUPS.

Currently our printer spool machine is using CUPS 1.3.8 on debian.

That machine will be replaced shortly and will start running CUPS 1.4.4.

We set up our Macs using printer.conf files and this works fine in Lion.  After

moving to Mountain Lion, however, the same setup no longer works when printing

to our CUPS 1.3.8 server.  This setup mostly causes "No Pages Found" errors and

prints only our cover page.  On the server side CUPS doesn't act it receives any

data at all.  There are no real errors except the "No Pages Found" that it

reports.

On our new CUPS 1.4.4 machine we are setting up, though I haven't had a chance

to try it extensively yet, it seems that it communicates just fine and prints

are successful.

So, though I can't find any info online to back me up yet, it seems like the

"Mountain Lion" CUPS can't talk with our 1.3.8 server.

Has anyone seen any similar behavior?  Is there some sort of directive I hand to

the Mountain Lion CUPS setup that will help with compatibility?  Unfortunately

we can't simply put the 1.4.4 server into place.  I'm stuck talking to 1.3.8 for

a while.

--dcl