Printing from Mtn Lion 1.6svn to 1.3.8 Debian

Dave LeFevre dlefevre at purdue.edu
Fri Sep 28 08:44:47 PDT 2012

I was not more specific about the types of printers because this morning I thought this was an across-the-board problem with all our printers (12 or so).  However that no longer seems to be the case.  We're having multiple problems and some of them seem to be that the test PDF is corrupt.  So the problem does seem to be just with one particular printer.

The model of that printer is HP LaserJet P4015
The version of debian that is being used is 5.0.4
It's printing using "HP LaserJet Series PCL 4/5, 1.3" as the driver.  (There are many, many people that use this server to print from Samba.)
As for the jobs messages, it throws a "No Pages Found" warning, but it indicates on both sides that the print was successful.  There are no errors thrown according to the logs.  We've looked closely at logs on both sides and there is nothing odd there at all except for the "No Pages Found" which shows up in the cups administration interface and on the Mac.  I set the debug to loglevel and there was nothing there, either.  It simply looks like there was no data sent and/or the server isn't ignoring it.

Again the cups server sending the data is a Mac Mountain Lion with 1.6svn.  It was an upgrade, not a fresh install, however the problem was first reported by someone with a brand new Macbook.