[cups.general] high volume cups-lpr

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Apr 4 08:26:45 PDT 2013

Jan,

On 2013-04-04, at 10:35 AM, Jan.Dreyer at bertelsmann.de wrote:
> Hi @ll.
>
> We plan to feed a CUPS installation via lpr protocol with about 200k jobs (each 1-2 pages) per day. Will this perform? What experience do you folks have with high volume on CUPS servers?

That kind of load (~140 jobs and ~280 pages per minute) is feasible for CUPS.

That said, going through lpr means an extra layer of protocols and spooling overhead - you'd be much better served by submitting via IPP.

Also, most printers do not perform well with many small jobs.  If you can coalesce multiple jobs into a single submission then you'll be more likely to see the full engine speed of each printer.  Also, you may want to disable the "wait" features of the backend if the ultimate destination is a network printer - see the following documentation for details:

    http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/network.html

If you can provide more information about your setup we can probably provide additional guidance to make this work as desired.