[cups.general] Cross compiling CUPS for ARM

王凯 kevin at wang-kai.cn
Mon Apr 15 19:09:37 PDT 2013

Mr Sweet, thank you very much for responding to me.

Maybe I didn't describe my questions detailedly. Things are like that, I recently want to make a print server by myself, and after a period of time of  researching data, I found that CUPS may meet my requirements. So  I tried to cross-compiled it for ARM but finally failed.

Now according to your answer, can I understand it that CUPS can be cross-compiled for ARM in theory but there isn't any official test for it or it is only the printing solution for Linux? And can I use CUPS for a print server?

Thank you again!

PS: I just decompressed the package and configure with some parameters(CC=opt/FriendlyARM/toolschain/4.4.3/bin/arm-linux-gcc CXX=opt/FriendlyARM/toolschain/4.4.3/bin/arm-linux-g++ LD=opt/FriendlyARM/toolschain/4.4.3/bin/arm-linux-ld RANLIB=opt/FriendlyARM/toolschain/4.4.3/bin/arm-linux-ranlib AR=opt/FriendlyARM/toolschain/4.4.3/bin/arm-linux-ar --target=arm-linux --host=arm-linux --build=i686-linux --prefix=/) and it succeed, but when I tried to make, it failed.

How are you configuring and building CUPS?

What errors are you getting?

Generally speaking, cross-compilation *should* work for basic builds, but you will not be able to use the unit tests or test suite included with CUPS on the result.  However, we currently don't do any cross-compile testing of CUPS releases so there may be issues lurking...