[cups.general] Cross compiling CUPS for ARM

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Apr 16 04:19:18 PDT 2013

On 2013-04-15, at 10:09 PM, 王凯 <kevin at wang-kai.cn> wrote:
> Now according to your answer, can I understand it that CUPS can be cross-compiled for ARM in theory but there isn't any official test for it or it is only the printing solution for Linux? And can I use CUPS for a print server?

CUPS is not just for Linux, it is for any UNIX-like operating system. For example, it is the printing system on OS X and is readily available for all of the BSDs and Solaris.

As for using CUPS as-is on an embedded device, I know of several people that have done so on their NAS boxes.  Some use it for "raw" printing (no filters), others build the full set of print filters and drivers and use it as a full CUPS print server that accepts PDF files, etc.

> Thank you again!
>
> PS: I just decompressed the package and configure with some parameters(CC=opt/FriendlyARM/toolschain/4.4.3/bin/arm-linux-gcc CXX=opt/FriendlyARM/toolschain/4.4.3/bin/arm-linux-g++ LD=opt/FriendlyARM/toolschain/4.4.3/bin/arm-linux-ld RANLIB=opt/FriendlyARM/toolschain/4.4.3/bin/arm-linux-ranlib AR=opt/FriendlyARM/toolschain/4.4.3/bin/arm-linux-ar --target=arm-linux --host=arm-linux --build=i686-linux --prefix=/) and it succeed, but when I tried to make, it failed.

What error message(s) did you get when you tried to make the software?