problems with airprint to cups server

litauer.uni-koblenz litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Wed Apr 17 00:59:25 PDT 2013

Hi,

I am driving a cups 1.5.4 server on an SLES 11sp2 machine. Because of our subnetting I try to announce all my 50 (cups-)printers via DNS-SD. I made all the relevant entries on our DNS server. MacOS can use the annouced printers like a charm.
Now I try to print from my iPhone with airprint. The iPhone searches for printers and finds them. I can select one of the printers and select print. The iPhone prepares and executes the print. But the data is not sent to the cups server ... no errors in error_log, no job log, no error message on the iPhone, nothing at all. I did a tcpdump on the cups server looking for the iPhones ip address: While searching and selecting the printer on the iPhone, there is lots of IPP protocol communication between the phone and the cups server. Pressing "print" there is no data at all.

The following announcements are made via DNS:
$ORIGIN uni-koblenz.de.
_services._dns-sd._udp          PTR    _ipp._tcp
_ipp._tcp                       PTR    presse._ipp._tcp
_universal._sub._ipp._tcp       IN PTR presse._ipp._tcp
_cups._sub._ipp._tcp            IN PTR presse._ipp._tcp
presse._ipp._tcp                SRV    0 0 631 printhost
presse._ipp._tcp                TXT   "txtvers=1" "qtotl=1" "rp=printers/presse" "ty=presse" "product=(RICOH Aficio MP C5501 PS)" "transparent=t" "copies=t" "duplex=t" "color=t" "pdl=application/octet-stream,application/pdf,application/postscript,image/jpeg,image/png,image/urf" "URF=DM3" "air=username,password" "adminurl=http://printhost.uni-koblenz.de:631/printers/presse" "note=A 019" "printer-type=0x480901c"

Because of "air=username,password" I would expect that, pressing "print", the iPhone asks me for my username and password. But no dialog appears.

This drives my crazy for about a week now. If I could trace the network traffic on the iPhone, maybe I will find the reason for this behaviour. Any hints would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot in advance.

Christoph