[cups.general] Xerox Phaser 7400DN

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Feb 1 02:12:21 PST 2013

Hello,

On Jan 31 10:04 John Jason Jordan wrote (excerpt):
> Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> dijo:
>> As far as I understand it, the Linux PPD was downloaded
>> from Xerox in the Linux downloads section on xerox.com.
>
> That is correct.
>
> The Windows PPD was also downloaded yesterday from xerox.com. The two
> PPD files are not the same size or time stamp. I do not understand why
> they are not the same. I always thought a PPD file was a PPD file,
> written for the specific printer, and platform agnostic.

Your understanding and your expectation is right.

But at the few printer manufacturers that I know about (not yet Xerox)
those who deal with their Windows customers work basically totally
separated from their "special forces" who deal with those strange
Linux folks out there that nobody else understands ;-)
As a result what they provide to their Windows customers is basically
totally decoupled from what they provide to the Linux users.
I guess I learned right now that it is basically the same at Xerox.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner