Windows 8 + CUPS 1.4.4 + PostScript

Steven Hunter hunters at purdue.edu
Fri Feb 1 11:23:03 PST 2013

We have a CUPS 1.4.4 server running on Ubuntu. We've had no real
problems with Windows clients (XP, Vista, and 7) until people started
showing up with Windows 8 laptops wanting to connect to our printers.

If we configure the queue using using the Windows 8 provided PCL driver,
it works fine. However if we use the postscript driver then we get the
raw postscript code printed as text. The printer I am testing with is a
LJ3800, but we have seen this behavior with both a 4650 and 8150 as
well. For now we're using the PCL driver as a work-around but there are
some printers for which the PS driver is preferred and there's no reason
I can see why it shouldn't work.

Neither I nor our Linux admin can figure why. Does anyone have any
suggestions or pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Steven Hunter | hunters at purdue.edu
I couldn't afford a cool signature, so I guess I'm stuck with this one.