[cups.general] Is there a way to password protect the website, but not print requests?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Feb 5 01:34:34 PST 2013

Hello,

On Jan 30 13:52 Paul Conklin wrote (excerpt):
> I plan on exposing my server to the internet
> via port forwarding on port 631.
> I want the CUPS WI to prompt for a username / PW,
> but not when i submit a job.

Could this mean that there is no good protection when
print jobs are submitted?

If yes, it could result that arbitrary print job data can be
submitted to your printers (e.g. by using the "-o raw" option
when the print job is submitted).

As far as I know at least some printers support firmware update
by sending them special data in the same way as ordinary printing
data. Who can change a printer's firmware can hijack the printer.

Nowadays network printers are also real computers with full
network capabilities. Someone who controls a network printer
controls a printing unit plus a computer with network access.
(Google for "network printer security risk").

Therefore it is crucial to limit access to network printer
devices to trusted users.

You may also have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_and_SANE_Firewall_settings

Kind Regards