Mac printing issues

John Oliver jnojr at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 14:49:10 PST 2013

This is on an iMac, 10.7.5 "Lion" with all updates applied.  http://localhost:631 reports cups 1.5.4

I added a printer attached to a remote host with lpadmin:

lpadmin -p Xerox_Phaser_6700DN___stop -v dnssd://Phaser%206700DN%20%40%20stop._ipp._tcp.local./ -L "Phaser 6700DN on stop" -E

I can echo test | lp -d Xerox_Phaser_6700DN___stop and a page comes out.  (The printer really wants to use tray 1, which is a manual feed, instead of Tray 2 which is a regular tray when I do this, and I don't know if that's a printer issue or if I need to dig in with lpoptions or something)

This printer does not show up in Print & Scan, nor is it an option in any application.  It shows up just fine with lpstat  Also:

flamingo:~ joliver$ lpoptions -p Xerox_Phaser_6700DN___stop -l
lpoptions: Unable to get PPD file for Xerox_Phaser_6700DN___stop: Not Found

This printer also shows up in my cups web page as a "Local Raw Printer"  I'm guessing it did not suck down a PPD file like it would have if I'd used the + in Print & Scan.  But I want this scripted.  Any assistance appreciated!