cupsfilter 1.4.3 && CHARSET=utf-8

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Fri Feb 8 11:57:57 PST 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out with cupsfilter what the cupsd at the end of the chain of processes will finally send to the printer...

For a given UTF-8 encoded text file I can fine do the conversion to Postscript using the mappings in charsets/utf-8 and the fonts with the following commands:

$ CHARSET=utf-8; export CHARSET
$ PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/xxx.ppd; export PPD
$ texttops 1 rleigh myfile 1 "" file.utf8 > file.ps

When I do this with cupsfilter like:

$ sbin/cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/ppd/xxx.ppd -m application/vnd.cups-postscript file.utf8 > file.ps

somehow the environment CHARSET=utf-8 is not given to the filter texttops and this in turn does not look into the file charsets/utf-8 for the mapping of UTF-8 codepoints to fonts.

What I do wrong?

Thanks

    matthias