Setting the CUPS parameters from the file to be printed

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Sun Feb 10 01:59:29 PST 2013

Scott Vetter wrote:

>   Is it possible to set the printer options with the input file (i.e. file
>   to be printed)?  For example, I have a file to be printed and would like
>   the first line or two would contain how the printer's option to be set.
>   Is this possible?  If so, how?
>
> Thanks!

In case of PostScript jobs, yes. Insert immediately after the line starting
with
%!
or
%!PS-Adobe
(which specifies the following is a PostScript job) one or more lines of the
form
%cupsJobTicket: attr1=value1 attr2=value2 ... attrN=valueN

where attrx=valuex denote (nearly) any option which can be specified in a lp
or lpr command, like
media=A4
or
sides=two-sided-long-edge
etc.

See also
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.6/spec-postscript.html#OPTIONS

THis feature has been implemented at first (as far as I know) in cups 1.3.

Helge