Can't Print with newer versions

Pedro epyks at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 14 18:38:39 PST 2013

Linux Slackware

I have 2 printers, Epson LQ-300 24-pin and a Brother DCP-385C. For years I have been using cups with no problems until and including the version 1.4.6.

When I upgraded to version 1.5.4 the Epson printer would hang after printing a file and would not advance to the next page. For more printing I had to switch the printer off and on again.

I then installed cups-1.6.1 and can't print at all. An error shows for both printers that the filters cannot be found, yet they are right there in /usr/libs/cups/filter.

I had to reinstall cups-1.4.6 in order to print again.

Any solution?