[cups.general] Getting capability info from IPP printers

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 10:21:43 PST 2013

On 02/20/2013 07:02 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
> The discovery APIs are designed to only find CUPS and IPP Everywhere-compatible printers at this time, although conceptually they could be made to find others (including maybe statically-configured printers in ~/.cups?)
>
> All of the destination APIs will work with any IPP printer - just create a CUPS destination and set the printer-uri-supported value in the options array to have them look at the specific printer you are using.

This means that I have to create a local (raw) CUPS queue at first, set
the URI pointing to the printer, and then I can investigate the printer.
After that I either generate and add a PPD (IPP Everywhere printer), do
nothing (remote CUPS queue), or remove the queue again (unknown
printer). Is this the correct way to proceed?

   Till