[cups.general] cannot login on localhost:631

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Feb 22 04:29:55 PST 2013

Unless you are using Digest or BasicDigest as the auth type, cupsd will look at the system accounts for users, groups, and passwords.

So if you have recompiled to not use PAM then it is likely that your system uses a password hash not supported by cupsd or the crypt() function.  That's one of the reasons we adopted PAM in the first place... :/

I think you'll have better luck recompiling with PAM support and fixing the /etc/pam.d/cups file to point to modules that exist.