[cups.general] Canon 6650 CUPS debug (prints black page)

Gernot Hassenpflug gernot.hassenpflug at asahinet.com
Mon Feb 25 07:11:46 PST 2013

Dave <djh999gc at gmail.com> writes:

> > > Maybe you can trace the filter chain used by evince/libreoffice compared to the lp output. Probably whatever settings Canon chose to implement doesn't fit Debian. For example, maybe Canon only implemented something to deal with incoming PostScript input, rather than PDF?
> > >
> > 0) Apologies for doublepost above & for the messy title.
> > 1a) OK Evince GTK print: http://pastebin.ca/2316390 (see lines 270 etc for filters).
> > 1b) BAD lp print here: http://pastebin.ca/2316390 (see 328 etc for filters).
> > 2) converted pdf to ps and tried to print with lp.  Didn't work (resulted in black page).
> > 3) filter chain: did compare the output of the debug error_log for evince to see if I could see differences in how it was handling filters.  Not sure what I'm looking for here, pasted the successful log above at 1a-1b.
> > 4) noticed that the CUPS web interface showed 2 different printers.  When using lpoptions, I noticed that the first one ("Canon_6650") did not list options properly.  The second ("Canon_LBP6650") did list options when prompted by lpoptions.  Deleted the Canon_6650 printer from web interface.  This may be a red herring, but mentioned anyway.
> > 5) I removed cups/ghostscript and reinstalled it, but this didn't work.
> >
> > Note the filter pstoufr2cpca is being used.  I think this is a Canon creature.  Any suggestions as to why evince GTK method prints ok whereas lp will not?  Thanks very much for any lookins here.
>
> Correction 1b) BAD lp print here: http://pastebin.ca/2315773

Unfortunately pastebin appears to have some problems, so I have not seen your files.
However, I would hazard a guess that evince is using PDF as a starting point, and converting to ps using one type of library (poppler or ghostscript) while lp is using PS as a starting point and using perhaps a different library (of either poppler of ghostscript).
Maybe you can see if you can successfully print from Adobe Acrobat Reader, which uses a third pdf to ps converter library.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug