[cups.general] RAW queue en 9100 printing

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Feb 28 03:47:26 PST 2013

Dennis Leeuw wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For all our windows printer queues we used to use IPP to the printer and
> a RAW queue on CUPS and that worked fine, till a couple of weeks ago we
> received a Xerox WC7556 printer. After a lot of tweaking and testing I
> found that the only solution to make it work is to use port 9100 + RAW
> printing.
>
> When we use IPP and RAW and we send a job that has to print 2 copies,
> only one is printed.
> When we use 9100 and RAW then all works fine.
>
> That fact that we found a solution is great, but I also would like to
> know why. Can someone explain to me what the difference is and how this
> works? Or can someone point me to the direction how to find out what
> goes on?
>
> We are using Windows XP, CUPS 1.4.3 on Ubuntu.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dennis Leeuw

I guess the IPP issue is due to the fact that in this case IPP job
attributes take precedence over the respective settings of the PostScript
job itself (an issue I already detected some time ago when using the java
based IPP implementation in Xerox DocuTech printers).
CUPS inserts a copies value of 1 in the printing IPP requests (as this is
the default) which corresponds to the command line options for the filters
and backends.
I then hacked the IPP backend (starting with 1.3.5) to discard the copies
attribute from the IPP request unless explicitely specified, so that the
copies spec in the PS job got activated again.
If you are interested, I could send you this (brute force) hack which could
easily adapted to the 1.4.3 backend, but you then need to get the cups 1.4.3
sources, compile from the sources, and replace the original ipp backen.

Helge