[cups.general] Limit sharing of printer to certain IPs

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Jan 9 01:48:32 PST 2013

Hello,

On Jan 9 01:29 Lars Behrens wrote (excerpt):
> Hi there we have a cups server for several network printers
> on several floors of our building.
> How can I achieve that specific printers are only visible
> on certain clients, so that nobody on the 1st floor can
> by mistake print out something on the 4th floor.

You cannot do this with a single CUPS server (at least not
with traditional CUPS Browsing up to CUPS <= 1.5), see
"Configuring CUPS <= 1.5 in the Network" at
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

I think - if I remember correctly - it might be possible
to limit which queues are visible by which users.
I think that only those queues are visible by those users
who are allowed to print to it via the lpadmin parameters
"-u allow:user,user, at group" and "-u deny:user,user, at group".
In this case it might work to set up the remote queues
on the CUPS server so that e.g. only the users who work on
the 1st floor are allowed to print to the queues for 1st floor
so that as a consequence the queues for 1st floor are only
visible by those users who work on the 1st floor.
But I have not tested if and/or to what extent this works.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner