For a discovered printer,information that has been changed is reset after reboot.

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Jan 9 02:54:51 PST 2013

Richard Olsen wrote:

>> > So I did a lot of changing and cutting and pasting and rebooting and
>> > didn't learn much of anything.  I then decided to edit files
>> > printers.confg.O and printers.confg.  In each of the files I deleted
>> > everything related to the color printer and the fax, but left the stuff
>> > for the parallel connected printer and the PDF printer, and then I
>> > rebooted.
>> >
>> > After the reboot, in file printers.confg.O what I had left there was
>> > still
>> > there plus information for the color printer (but not the fax).  The
>> > first few records for the color printer were:
>> >
>> > <DefaultPrinter HP-Color-LaserJet-CM1312nfi-MFP>
>> > Info Hewlett-Packard HP Color LaserJet CM1312nfi MFP
>> > Location gwp3
>> > MakeModel HP Color LaserJet cm1312nfi MFP hpijs pcl3, 3.10.2
>> > DeviceURI hp:/usb/HP_Color_LaserJet_CM1312nfi_MFP?serial=00CND896S5L2
>> >
>> > In the printers.confg file was the stuff I had left plus information
>> > for
>> > the color printer and the fax.  The first few records for the color
>> > printer were:
>> >
>> > <Printer HP_Color_LaserJet_CM1312nfi_MFP>
>> > Info Automatically setup by HPLIP
>> > Location
>> > MakeModel HP Color LaserJet CM1312 MFP Series Postscript (recommended)
>> > DeviceURI hp:/usb/HP_Color_LaserJet_CM1312nfi_MFP?serial=00CND896S5L2
>> >
>> > Notice that the only thing in common between the two snippets is
>> > DeviceURI.  So do you suppose that both files were set up properly by
>> > CUPS
>> > and then HPLIP modified (incorrectly) printers.confg??  If so, then
>> > changes will always be lost after a reboot.

>> Can it be that in your system configuration hplip's hp-probe utility is
>> called at system startup time?
>>
>> Helge
>>
> I don't know if it is hp-probe, but something in hplip is definitely
> scanning for printers during startup and messing up printers.confg.  If I
> uninstall hplip then all the printing stuff works like I would expect it
> to.  Of course without hplip I can't use the fax or scanner.  At any rate
> I will continue to look for the culprit, and hopefully the maintainers of
> hplip will fix the problem of it overwriting the printer configuration
> data.
>
> Thank you both for your input.

I don't think the maintainers of hplip is responsible, rather the
maintainers of the Linux Mint xfce distribution. I myself cannot reproduce
this, as the current downloadable version is 14.x (your 9.x is no longer
officially supported).
So you need to look into how your system manages the services startup stuff
(wether by the conventional /etc/init.d/xxxx routines or by the more recent
service utility).
Once you have identified the hplip related startup configuration file, it
sould be easy to comment out the execution of the utility that causes the
issue.

Helge