[cups.general] cups does not respect error policy

Jan Dreyer Jan.Dreyer at bertelsmann.de
Wed Jan 16 04:38:40 PST 2013

Hello Johannes.

installed Thunderbird now :)

Am 16.01.2013 11:34, schrieb Johannes Meixner:

>> ---
>> # grep -i '^DeviceURI' /etc/cups/printers.conf
>> DeviceURI lpd://bd-p30254.mydomain.net/LPT1
>> DeviceURI unc://localhost/
>> DeviceURI socket://bd-p30254.mydomain.net
>> ---
> I never heard about the "unc" backend.
> Can you provide more information what this is?
the unc backend we defined ourself. It stores incoming files in an UNC
path that is delivered as Device-URI.
Nevertheless the unc backend is not part of the process we discuss here.
> One more note regarding the menaing of ErrorPolicy, see
> http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.3/man-backend.html
> Exit Codes

I'm fully aware of the possible exit codes of backends and the consequences.

> Now CUPS debug messages are needed to get a better understanding
> what actually goes on on your system, see
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:How_to_Report_a_Printing_Issue
> how to "provide CUPS debug messages".
Jay, enabling debug messages was my first step after thing gone wrong.
> Additioanlly I will do some testing - perhaps I can reproduce it...

Thanks for your effort, I don't think that will be necessary (yet).

Btw. we are in process to buy several subscriptions for SuSE support; I
hope that is finished soon ...

Regards
Jan Dreyer