[cups.general] Question: Cups Classes and options like duplex on the client side.

Douglas Kosovic doug at uq.edu.au
Wed Jan 16 21:18:02 PST 2013

Hi Denny,

> Am 30.11.2012 um 13:45 schrieb Michael Sweet<msweet at apple.com>:
>>
>> OK, this definitely points to a bug in GNOME. lpoptions uses the APIs in libcups to obtain the PPD representing the class.  It sounds like GNOME is not.
>
> than, KDE (kprint dialog) has the same problem, it also offers not options.

I had a similar issue with MacOS X 10.7 Lion (and earlier) clients not
retrieving the PPD file from the server for classes. With MacOS X 10.8
Mountain Lion Apple fixed the issue by using the libcups API.

Anyway as I had legacy MacOS X clients with users that didn't want to
upgrade, so I created and applied the attached patch to a cups-1.6.1 server.

So now if you try to retrieve a PPD from a URI that looks similar to:
    http://servername/classes/poolname.ppd
it'll return the PPD of the first printer in that class.

Cheers,
Doug