[cups.general] Problem with Brother MFC-J835DW and CUPS-3.1.5-2.4.1 lpd

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Fri Jan 18 07:18:13 PST 2013

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 10:54:11 +0100 (CET)
Johannes Meixner articulated:

> WIFI is one of the tomost complicated ways how to access a printer
> and even more for an all-in-one device. Theoretically WIFI is
> "just like cable network" but practically it is not. There are
> many more issues with WIFI compared to cable network.

I presently have a Brother MFC-9650CDW hooked up to my home network.
That consists of five Microsoft machines and one FreeBSD one. The
Microsoft ones all work perfectly via a wireless connection. As
usually, the FreeBSD one does not. I have to have a hard Ethernet
connection to the printer to get satisfactory results. It has been my
experience with this and other printers on a large segment of OSs that
in virtually all cases, the Microsoft ones work fine out of the box but
the *.nix ones either don't work at all or require extreme efforts to
get them configured to work on the wireless network correctly.
Scanning, FAXing, etcetera get even worst results. How much of this can
be contributed to CUPS and how much to the OS is a debatable issue.

--
Gerard ✌
gerard at seibercom.net