[cups.general] Xerox Phaser 7400DN

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jan 29 21:01:47 PST 2013

OS: Fedora 16, x86_64

I cannot get documents with the Junicode font to render the font. I
absolutely need this font for work in linguistics. What comes out of
the printer is a garbled font, although it has the same line endings
and spacings.

The same font prints perfectly to HP laserjets at my house, and to
printers at the university. It is only when I print to the Phaser 7400DN
from Linux that I cannot get the font to render correctly.

The same thing happens whether I print from LibreOffice, LibreOffice >
PDF export, Scribus, or any other program. It does not matter if I
embed the font. Scribus allows converting the font to paths on PDF
export, which is the only way I can get the font to appear properly in
the printout. However, I normally need output from LibreOffice. The same
PDF that won't print the font correctly from Linux prints perfectly from
Adobe Reader on Windows. On Linux I have tried printing from Adobe
Reader, Okular and Evince, and directly from LibreOffice, always with
the same garbled output.

I tried printing to CUPS-PDF, but that embeds the font and I get the
same results. I cannot find any way in LibreOffice to print directly to
a PS file without selecting a printer. Regardless of what printer I
select it does not convert the font to paths, as the resulting .ps file
will still print with the font garbled.

I have four different "printers" installed for this printer. One will
render the font correctly, but this driver cannot understand "portrait"
- it prints portrait on a landscape page, regardless of what
 orientation I specify in the print dialog boxes. And none of the
 drivers recognizes all the features of the printer. Or if they do see
 a feature they won't allow it to be selected. For example, with one
 of the drivers I can specify "tray 2" and it will insist on printing
 from tray 1. I go back into the dialog box and, right after selecting
 tray 2 I see it has reverted to tray 1 as soon as I close the dialog
 box.

Please, does anyone have one of these printers with a CUPS driver that
actually works? If so, I beg you to tell me which driver you are using!