[cups.general] Xerox Phaser 7400DN

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Jan 30 08:06:49 PST 2013

Hello,

On Jan 29 21:01 John Jason Jordan wrote (excerpt):
> I cannot get documents with the Junicode font to render the font.
> The same font prints perfectly to HP laserjets at my house, and to
> printers at the university. It is only when I print to the Phaser 7400DN
> from Linux that I cannot get the font to render correctly.
> ... Scribus allows converting the font to paths on PDF
> export, which is the only way I can get the font to appear properly in
> the printout.
> ... I cannot find any way in LibreOffice to print directly to
> a PS file without selecting a printer. Regardless of what printer I
> select it does not convert the font to paths, as the resulting .ps file
> will still print with the font garbled.

I don't have a Xerox Phaser 7400DN and I am not at all an expert
regarding fonts.

Nevertheless it seems what you need for the Xerox Phaser 7400DN
is a conversion tool that can convert a PostScript or PDF file
with an embedded font into a PostScript or PDF file with the
font converted to paths.

As far as I know Ghostscript can do this, in particular the
Ghostscript "devices" pswrite/ps2write that convert PostScript
or PDF into PostScript and pdfwrite that convert PostScript or
PDF into PDF.

Usually those Ghostscript devices can be used via bash scripts
like /usr/bin/ps2ps /usr/bin/ps2ps2 /usr/bin/ps2pdf /usr/bin/ps2pdf12
/usr/bin/ps2pdf13 /usr/bin/ps2pdf14 /usr/bin/ps2pdfwr

The Ghostscript devices pswrite/ps2write and pdfwrite
have many options for almost any kind of special stuff.

I don't know which Ghostscript version you have installed but on
http://ghostscript.com/Documentation.html
you can get Ghostscript documentation for various Ghostscript versions
for example for the current GPL Ghostscript 9.06 there is
http://www.ghostscript.com/doc/9.06/Ps2ps2.htm
and
http://www.ghostscript.com/doc/9.06/Ps2pdf.htm
and