[cups.general] Xerox Phaser 7400DN

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Jan 30 10:55:16 PST 2013

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 17:06:37 +0100 (CET)
Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> dijo:

>On Jan 29 21:01 John Jason Jordan wrote (excerpt):
>> I cannot get documents with the Junicode font to render the font.
>> The same font prints perfectly to HP laserjets at my house, and to
>> printers at the university. It is only when I print to the Phaser
>> 7400DN from Linux that I cannot get the font to render correctly.

>I don't have a Xerox Phaser 7400DN and I am not at all an expert
>regarding fonts.
>
>Nevertheless it seems what you need for the Xerox Phaser 7400DN
>is a conversion tool that can convert a PostScript or PDF file
>with an embedded font into a PostScript or PDF file with the
>font converted to paths.
>
>As far as I know Ghostscript can do this, in particular the
>Ghostscript "devices" pswrite/ps2write that convert PostScript
>or PDF into PostScript and pdfwrite that convert PostScript or
>PDF into PDF.
>
>Usually those Ghostscript devices can be used via bash scripts
>like /usr/bin/ps2ps /usr/bin/ps2ps2 /usr/bin/ps2pdf /usr/bin/ps2pdf12
>/usr/bin/ps2pdf13 /usr/bin/ps2pdf14 /usr/bin/ps2pdfwr
>
>The Ghostscript devices pswrite/ps2write and pdfwrite
>have many options for almost any kind of special stuff.

I have whatever the latest Ghostscript is for Fedora 16, and I will
check out the commands you mention.

It used to be that printing to .ps file would automatically convert
fonts to paths, but that appears to be no longer the case.

Thanks for the suggestions.