Creating dummy ASCII driver for thermal printer (Star TSP600)

Luis Da Costa aliasbody at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 11:13:23 PST 2013

> >> Look at
> >> http://www.starasia.com/productshow.asp?id=82
> >> for Linux drivers.
> >>
> >> Helge
> >>

> > Hi Helge,
> >
> > Thanks for the help. But as I already said, those drivers are only for the
> > Ethernet and USB version and I've got a Parallel/Serial version which is
> > not compactible. I've already tried those drivers and they give me
> > problems with the rasterstar filter, and when they don't, they simply
> > don't print...
> >
> > I have better results with the Raw Queue drivers that with those ones :S
> >
> > Thanks in Advance,
> > Luis Da Costa
>
> The driver(s) are independent of the backend used. For your serial version
> you need to use the serial backend of CUPS. But it seems your serial
> connection needs to be capable of transferring 8-bit binary data.
>
> Helge

Hi there again,

I've tried to install those drivers in a Fedora 14 i686 box with sucess, then I added the printer, and selected the same options as the printer output in the debug mode :

- Baud Rate : 9,600bps
- Data Bits : 8 Bits
- Parity : None (Odd)
- Handshake : DTR

But nothing to do, I only receive "????????????" and some weird characters.

The only difference is that sometimes with some options the text just prints upside down.

What should I do then ? And how can I know if my serial connection is capable of transferring 8-bit binary data ? I have it connected to a serial-to-usb cable, can this be the problem ?

Sorry for all this questions, and thank you for all you help.

Best Regards,
Luis Da Costa