[cups.general] Isn't there an alternative?

merc1984 at f-m.fm merc1984 at f-m.fm
Sat Mar 2 08:46:57 PST 2013

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013, at 4:11, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

On Tue, 2013-02-26 at 13:04 -0800, . wrote:

For 15 years, CUPS has made me want to kill myself, time and again.

Isn't there an alternative?

For just about as long it has worked extremely reliably for me; both at

home with 2 printers and at work with 114 printers.

Now see, right there you destroy your credibility with alot of us.

Lately it simply will not print to my Xerox Phaser 8860 network

printer INTERMITTENTLY.  Usually fails when I have an emergency, like

right now.

Ah, do not blame CUPS.  Just a few weeks ago I finally managed to kick

the last Xerox Phaser off my [work] network; replaced by better and
MUCH

MORE RELIABLE Brother MFC-9970 units.

You don't know what the 8860 is.  It is a $2,500 solid-ink commercial
printer, and is very reliable.  I suspect that whatever Xerox you had
was a cheap one.

  How are you attempting to submit jobs to the printer - LPD, IPP,
  SOCKET,

etc... ?   If you look in "netstat --tcp" is there a connection between

your CUPS instance and the printer? And what state is it in?

CUPS can only do so much to work around an extremely flakey and poorly

desgined device.  I'd first suggest just trying a different mechanism

submit jobs to the printer;  if you are using LPD switch to SOCKET.

I have the printer set to socket://192.168.1.192

I can send the Cups test page to it all day long using the web
interface, even when it won't print otherwise.  I can send pages to the
printer all day long using XFCE's Xfprint4 utility which uses the Cups
backend, even when it won't print otherwise.  The problem THIS TIME is
the client.  It fails INTERMITTENTLY, which is the very worst kind.

                          wherever you are