[cups.general] Isn't there an alternative?

upscope upscope at nwi.net
Mon Mar 4 07:04:18 PST 2013

merc1984 at f-m.fm wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013, at 4:11, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2013-02-26 at 13:04 -0800, . wrote:
>
> For 15 years, CUPS has made me want to kill myself, time and again.
>
> Isn't there an alternative?
>

> For just about as long it has worked extremely reliably for me; both
> at
>
> home with 2 printers and at work with 114 printers.
>

> Now see, right there you destroy your credibility with alot of us.
>

> Lately it simply will not print to my Xerox Phaser 8860 network
>
> printer INTERMITTENTLY.  Usually fails when I have an emergency, like
>
> right now.
>

> Ah, do not blame CUPS.  Just a few weeks ago I finally managed to kick
>
> the last Xerox Phaser off my [work] network; replaced by better and
> MUCH
>
> MORE RELIABLE Brother MFC-9970 units.
>

> You don't know what the 8860 is.  It is a $2,500 solid-ink commercial
> printer, and is very reliable.  I suspect that whatever Xerox you had
> was a cheap one.
>

>   How are you attempting to submit jobs to the printer - LPD, IPP,
>   SOCKET,
>
> etc... ?   If you look in "netstat --tcp" is there a connection
> between
>
> your CUPS instance and the printer? And what state is it in?
>

> CUPS can only do so much to work around an extremely flakey and poorly
>
> desgined device.  I'd first suggest just trying a different mechanism
>
> submit jobs to the printer;  if you are using LPD switch to SOCKET.
>

> I have the printer set to socket://192.168.1.192
>
> I can send the Cups test page to it all day long using the web
> interface, even when it won't print otherwise.  I can send pages to
> the printer all day long using XFCE's Xfprint4 utility which uses the
> Cups
> backend, even when it won't print otherwise.  The problem THIS TIME is
> the client.  It fails INTERMITTENTLY, which is the very worst kind.

I agree with you. I had a Xerox 6120 Phaser for seven years on my system
before I had to replace it. I used the xerox driver for it and ran it
with openSUSE from 9.0 to 12.1. No problems. I replaced because it
finally wore out and the toner cartridges were getting to expensive. If
I had a business I would have replaced it with another Xerox, but being
retire and for home use I got a Brothers MFC-J6710DW. No complaints
except with the scanner driver and printer drivers still being 32-bit
but they run fine with my 64 bit OS.

In process of testing 12.3 RC3 and will see if drivers still work.

russ
--
openSUSE 12.2(Linux 3.4.28-2.20-desktop x86_64)|KDE 4.10.00
"release 550"|Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|8GB DDR3|GeForce