[cups.general] The CUPS queue TXT fields for a printer

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Mar 11 09:16:38 PDT 2013

Dennis,

On 2013-03-11, at 11:46 AM, Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw at made-it.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Reading through all the documents I found that deal with ZeroConf and
> CUPS I found in the Bonjour Printing 1.0.2 document that the:
> Transparent
> Binary
> TBCP
> fields should be present in the DNS TXT field for a printer.

If they are known, yes.

> Is it safe to assume that when CUPS is the printserver for a printer I
> can just set them to:
> Transparent=T
> Binary=T
> TBCP=F

You can assume those values for queues using CUPS Raster printer drivers but not for PostScript printers.

It is never safe to assume you can pass binary PostScript, which is why CUPS does not advertise support for it even when there is some limited support available in the filter chain...